Tip: If you don’t have time to dry the aubergines in the sun, place them in a colander or tray and salt them for about 1 hour.
- Wash the aubergines and cut them into slices. For authentic flavouring, place them in a tray in the sun to dry.
- While they are drying, it’s a perfect time to prepare the garlic sauce. Add the salt to a large pot of water. Peel the potatoes and boil in salted water until well done. Drain.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with pepper and mash.
- In the blender bowl of the food processor (or with a hand mixer), purée the potatoes (like mashed) and minced garlic until well mixed, about 30-45 seconds. Still puréeing, slowly add the olive oil and vinegar, alternating between them, tasting as you go, until the mixture is smooth. The garlic sauce/skordalia should be creamy and thick. If it gets too thick, add a little cold water (not more than 1/4 cup).
- After the aubergines have dried, rinse them when ready to cook. Place them in boiling water until they soften (Tip: They are soft enough when a fork placed between your thumb and index finger can go through it with no effort).
- To fry, make mix with 1 egg, 1 small pack of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of baking powder. Dip slices of aubergines into the mix on both sides and then dip it into the flour separately. Fry in olive oil.
- When they have finished frying, add garlic sauce as dressing and serve while hot.