This easy, healthy homemade chicken shawarma is delicious! Best of all, you do not need a special rotisserie or spit. You just need a sheet pan to make it right in the oven!
The secret is in the shawarma spice mixture, made of warm spices including cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika and a pinch of cayenne, as well as EVO3 Olive Oil, which makes all the difference.
Serve it in pita pockets with tahini sauce and a Greek salad, and call it dinner!
Dish Type: Main Dish
Season: All Year
Yield: 6 Shawarmas
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1½ cup quinoa
- 2 cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup EVO3 Olive Oil
- ¾ tbsp ground cumin
- ¾ tbsp turmeric powder
- ¾ tbsp ground coriander
- ¾ tbsp garlic powder
- ¾ tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper, more if you prefer
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large lemon
- 6 pita pockets
- Tahini sauce or Greek Tzatziki sauce
- Baby arugula
- Pickles and/or olives
- In a small bowl, mix the cumin, turmeric, coriander, garlic powder, sweet paprika and cloves. Set aside the shawarma spice mix for now.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry and season with salt on both sides, then thinly slice into small bite-sized pieces.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl. Add the shawarma spices and toss to coat. Add the onions, lemon juice and olive oil. Toss everything together again. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight (if you don’t have time, you can cut or skip marinating time)
- When ready, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Take the chicken out of the fridge and let it sit in room temperature for a few minutes.
- Spread the marinated chicken with the onions in one layer on a large lightly-oiled baking sheet pan. Roast for 30 minutes in the 425 degrees F heated-oven. For a more browned, crispier chicken, move the pan to the top rack and broil very briefly (watch carefully). Remove from the oven.
- To serve, open pita pockets up. Spread a little tahini sauce or Tzatziki sauce, add chicken shawarma, arugula, and pickles or olives, if you like. Serve immediately!